When you work with a professional photographer you get desired results that speak for themselves.
LIKE my Facebook Page
ADD me to your LinkedIn Professional Network
FOLLOW my Instagram Visuals
FOLLOW my Pinterest Boards for tips and inspiretion
PLUS me on Google +
1. Personal Brand. You are your own personal brand and your headshot is your sign/label/logo. It needs to look good, well put together, and professional.
2. Professional online presence. With so much networking taking place online these days, a handshake isn’t always viable. Having a professional headshot gives the impression that you are professional, you are dedicated, and you are confident in your ability to get the job done.
3. First impressions matter. Your headshot may be the first thing people see regarding your business – whether online or on a business card. You need to look qualified and confident.
4. Stand out from the crowd. You are not the only one who does what you do. No matter what type of work you do – there is always someone else who does so, as well. That is why it is so important that you stand out from the crowd. Be original. Be professional. Be the difference.
5. High standards. Who wants to show themselves professionally with a selfie? What does this photo state to your potential clients or employers? Selfie photos are for personal social media sites – not the workplace. A professional headshot speaks volumes about your high standards. It shows that you go above and beyond to get the perfect picture and speak the perfect image. You were willing to take the time to do things right, rather than grabbing an old photo on your phone of you at the concert you went to last week. You took the time to create an appointment, attend it punctually, and purchased the professional headshot so that you can brand yourself in the proper, confident, competent manner.
6. Get that job interview or audition. A professional headshot can give you a chance to prove your capabilities just by the poise displayed in the photo. You will exhibit strength and sureness of yourself and your abilities. This gives you a better chance at grabbing the attention you need to get your foot in the door for that interview or audition. Don’t be just another number!
7. Get a self-esteem boost! We all need to feel good about who we are and what we do. Having a headshot photo session will make you look your best which will, in turn, make you feel your best. And what happens then? Your confidence and self-esteem will soar.
Now that you know why you need one – schedule your professional headshot photo session today!
Professional headshots are very important for highlighting the profiles of the career-oriented people. Because of this, it is important to give these photos the best shot – by dressing carefully with the right attire and, though they are often overlooked, the proper accessories. Together, these can make their personalities more impressive for the viewers.
Here are a few tips on those important accessories that you may otherwise overlook:
Right headshot accessories for men
- Tie – Lots of company executives or businessmen prefer to wear ties in an attempt to appear formal. They present with a polished look, often seen among professionals such as lawyers, financial advisors, and real estate agents. But headshots without a tie are also welcomed by people who want their professional portraits to look a bit informal or portray themselves as easily approachable. This are common among new businessmen owning startup companies.
- Bow tie – A bow tie is a more informal form of neck accessory for men. Musicians, politicians, actors, and some businessmen seem to prefer the use of the bow tie as a mark of their style.
- Pocket square – This is a traditional fashion of men, creating squares or stylish designs with hankies placed visibly in the suit coat pocket.
- CLICK HERE to see more examples
Most suitable headshot accessories for women
- Jewelry – When it comes to jewelry, minimalism is key. For example, a pair of small ear studs, instead of large earrings or a simple chain can be used instead of a broad necklace. However, if the woman is a jewelry designer, she can wear some selected sleek jewelry pieces that are designed by her.
Suitable headshot accessory for both men and women
- Glasses – The glasses are recommended to be used by both men and women who wear glasses on a generally. It is preferable for the glasses to have anti-glare coating to avoid the reflection of the light. If you wear glasses, make sure you take all the pairs you own to your headshot session to see which work best.
As a headshot photographer, I work with real people from the classical music and business world. They are not professionally trained fashion models and most of them feel uncomfortable on front of the camera.
The major difference between an amateur portrait photographer and skillful one is not only a strong knowledge of lighting and equipment, but also having skills in directing and editing.
The process of the headshot photoshoot in my studio includes a guidance on how to pose, professionally set-up lighting and equipment, shooting tethered, so clients can give me feedback during the session to ensure that we achieve the best results in short time. The crucial step of final look is retouching favorite images. Keep in mind that photographers who provide unedited images to the clients are delivering unfinished work. This is not accepted in business of professional photography.
My signature editing includes:
Improving color, contrast and sharpness
Retouching skin by clearing up blemishes and reducing wrinkles as needed
Removing flyaway hairs and adding volume to the hair if needed
- Fixing the wardrobe shoulder line, editing underarms in sleeveless headshots.
Additional editing service can be provided by request for additional cost.
Headshot is a professional portrait of a person, where only the face and the upper part of the body is visible, mainly stressing on the face expression and eyes of that person. The headshots are generally used for posting online with the job applications and the profiles of the professional people, so that their clients can be impressed by their personalities. Therefore, the dress of that person should be distinctly dignified and should give a professional look to the wearer. So everyone should be careful about the clothing that can be used while posing for a headshot.
Few useful tips for the selection of clothing for any headshot session
- Generally, people should wear only formal wear for the headshot sessions; like two-buttoned suits, shirts or formal kind of gowns. The formal wear is essential so that the people appearing in the headshots look perfectly professional to the viewers.
- It is better to avoid too much colorful clothing for a headshot, as it is best to keep a simple and plain look for these professional photos. Likewise, too many flowery or decorative patterns should be avoided, while selecting the dresses for shooting headshots. No funny pattern or funky style is approvable while selecting dress for a headshot session, as it will make the wearer look cheap to the viewers of his/her profile.
- Whatever dress is chosen, the wearer should be perfectly comfortable in wearing it; so that he/she looks confident in the headshot. But this dress should be a part of his/her personality; it should never become the main point of attraction of the viewers.
- The dress taken out of the wardrobe should be perfectly clean and spotless, so that the wearer does not look messy while wearing it. Moreover, the attire should be well ironed, to make the wearer look smart and confident.
- The clothes should be well fitted and any loosely fitted apparel should be avoided in these photo sessions. The whole point is to highlight the person wearing it, which cannot be achieved by wearing a heavy or voluminous type of dress.
- It is best to wear the traditional types of formal dresses, as the latest trendy attires may become old-fashioned within a few months and then the wearer will have to take another headshot for keeping his/her profile updated. But a few traditional styles are all-times favorites of people and they never seem to go outdated; like the formal suits or simple white shirts with ties.
Selection of the proper colors of headshot attire as per the skin tone of wearer
According to the expert advice of the professional photographers, the color of the dress selected for wearing in a headshot session should be in sharp contrast to the skin tone of the wearer. If the wearer is very fair-skinned, he/she should opt for a deeper shade of any sober color, to make his/her face more prominent in the headshot. On the contrary, if the wearer has dark colored or medium colored skin tone, he/she needs to wear only a light colored dress, to highlight his/her features in the headshot. Some photographers also suggest choosing the color of the dress according to the eye color of the wearer, to personalize the photo even more.
Parts of outfits that can be overlooked by the wearer
Generally, only the face and the upper parts of the body are visible in a headshot and not the lower parts. So the concerned person needs to be conscious only about choosing the shirt or the top that he/she will be wearing in the headshot session. But the trouser or the skirt will not be visible in the photo, for which the wearer or the photographer need not bother about the selection of these parts of the clothing at all. Neither the wearer needs to match the shirt with the trouser or skirt, as the lower part will not be seen at all. Similarly, he/she can wear any kind of shoes in these photo sessions, as the footwear also does not matter in any headshot.
Special kinds of attires preferred in a few specific corporate houses
When a person needs a headshot for submitting in a corporate company for job purposes or to make commercial tie-ups, his photo should be entirely different from that of a model or actor. Hence, the clothes chosen for this kind of headshots should be different too and the wearer needs to be careful while selecting his/her headshot attire. Since some corporate houses may have their unique preferences regarding the attires of their professionals, it is better to consult the website of the concerned company and derive ideas about their official dress codes, from the posted photos of their top officials.
Ideal dresses for the headshots used on commercial purposes
- It is usual for every corporate company to maintain a certain dress code in their offices, which is preferably maintained in the headshots of the people attached to them.
- Most of the offices like to see their employees in long-sleeved dresses, to maintain decency of the workplace, which needs to be shown in the headshots of the people applying there. So generally, most of the corporate headshots should be taken with full-sleeved shirts only.
- Even the women professionals need to be featured with decent shirts or collared blouses in their headshots. It is better if they wear suits or simple coats over their shirts.
- Both men and women can put on jackets over their shirts or blouses, if suits or coats are not available in their wardrobes.
- The women professionals should be careful about wearing minimum jewelry, of very sleek designs. They should look very simple in their headshots.
Consult with the professional photographer shooting headshots
The experienced photographers are well aware of the types of dresses that should be used for making the best headshots of their clients. Hence, it is best to show the chosen attire to the hired photographer, before finally putting it on for a headshot session.
CLICK HERE to see examples of Headshot Clothing for Men
CLICK HERE to see examples of Headshot Clothing for Women